Monday, August 18, 2008

Nine observations about Mr Ed Kuepper and one about me.


1. The man is a certified musical genius. I defy anyone to find a dud Ed Kuepper album.

2. True, some of the Laughing Clowns material may be considered sub-optimal but I have no time for this sort of hair-splitting nonsense.

3. Together with Chris Bailey, Ed Kuepper was one of the most important figures in the early punk movement and as such, his influence is still felt today.

4. He is also widely regarded as one of the grumpiest cunts in an industry largely populated by grumpy cunts. I remember watching him perform on Rockwiz. I can’t remember who he was performing with, but she was almost pissing herself with excitement about performing alongside the legendary Ed Kuepper. Ed looked as though he was being checked for piles.

5. Everything I’ve got belongs to you starts with the line “I have designs on you that come from dirty books”. How classy is that?

6. He always looks really, really grumpy.

7. I saw him play at the old Prince of Wales some years ago and he had a different guitar for just about every tune. Now that’s perfectionism.

8. Black ticket day is just about the perfect song for driving.

9. He’s also got an East German Volks Polizei armband. Cool!

10. I’m beginning to think my habit of washing down my anti-depressants with a glass of red wine each morning is maybe not such a good idea. Maybe I should switch to white.

UPDATE:

Blogger informs me that it "hates me and wants me to die" and won't allow me to post any comments.

Still here comrades.

UPDATE II:

Blogger is a cunting cunt.

I feel like Helen Keller here

10 comments:

Perseus said...

I agree whole-heartedly with points 1 to 9. I've seen him live many times and own many of his records. He's bloody fantastic.

Anonymous said...

If you can still see over the wheel of your car, the anti-depressants with wine ain't no crime.

The white druid magic of Google reveals that Ed Kuepper performed with Clare Bowditch on Rockwiz.

Mahalia Jackson said...

I still prefer Chris Bailey.

Anonymous said...

Blogger informs me that it "hates me and wants me to die" and won't allow me to post any comments.

Blogger does that to me sometimes. I sometimes suspect it is more sentient than it appears.

Mad Cat Lady said...

Maybe you need to sweet talk blogger. Maybe you need to call it your sweet wittle honey bunny?

squib said...

I don't know whether to admit I've never heard of him

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

Blogger is my sweet wittle honey bunny.

Mmmmm.

wari lasi said...

I don't know whether to admit I've never heard of him

Squib, Em Nau (Google it) or in my native tongue, Io.

catlick said...

I feel like Helen Keller here
Ramon, there is a "haiku" quality about your work sometimes. Lovely.

squib said...

I would have said 'hyperbolical' quality :)