Wednesday, July 14, 2010

EXTREME Narnia



Edmund discovers that Turkish Delight tastes like soap

My dad made a Narnia lamp but it stopped working ten minutes before the party. That's OK though because I photoshopped a glow into the lamp


There was a wardrobe



The invitations were wardrobes



The party favours were wardrobes. Because I am deranged, I made individual Narnia figures from wooden pegs. This is the Mr Tumnus batch





There was a scavenger hunt. Guests had to take all items to BigSquib who was dressed as Jadis and she handed out brown paper Mr Tumnus parcel prizes



This is one of the snowflake luminaries (with battery tealights) I made and BigSquib's crown. Also, some decorations






Food included deer cupcakes and white choc crackles


The piece de resistance... an ice castle cake



Guests decorated shields and BigSquib gave them fencing lessons with balloon swords





Handmade snowballs and two bags of insta-snow


The galleon in our backyard was renamed Dawntreader


Snowflake pinata filled with Turkish Delights, Raffaellos, chocolates, and paper snowflakes. There was also snowflake face painting


BigSquib/Jadis read the kids a book about Wilson Bentley, a guy who spent his life photographing snowflakes under a microscope. She left out the bit where Bentley died of pneumonia and handed around another book with photos of real snowflakes for everyone to look at





Playlist: Cold Acre by Augie March, Cold Wind by Arcade Fire, Winter for a Year by Arcade Fire, Turkish Delight by David Crowder Band, Let is Snow by Dean Martin, Like a Lion by the Decemberists, Cold Day in July by Dixie Chicks, Cold as Ice by Foreigner, White Winter Hymnal by Fleet Foxes, My Favourite Things by Julie Andrews, Under Ice by Kate Bush, Frozen by Madonna, Cold December by Matt Costa, Arctic World by Midnight Oil, Mr Tumnus lullaby from Narnia soundtrack, 15 Feet of Pure White Snow by Nick, Winter Wonderland by Pat Boone, Hazy Shade of Winter by Simon and Garfunkel, Ice Queen by Stranglers, California Dreamin' by Mamas and Papas, Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice, Snowman by XTC, Always Winter but Never Christmas by XTC







28 comments:

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

Good God Squib, that's awe inspiring!

Can you do my next birthday party?

I would like a Julia Gillard theme, please.

squib said...

I would like a Julia Gillard theme, please

I could arrange for Tilda Swinton to step out of a cake or somesuch, Ramon

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

Tilda.

Julia.

It's all good.

Puss In Boots said...

Dude, you are insane! I love it!

I should have posted photos of the boy's recent birthday party. I did a sushi train theme, and even bought a model train set to go around the table delivering the sushi and other delicacies.

There were 24 guests, and I made 22 different types of sushi. I am now an expert at nori rolls.

Of course, I now can't eat sushi for a few months. The smell of the seaweed makes me feel ill.

squib said...

I made 22 different types of sushi

Now I feel sane. Relatively

Melba said...

Oh my fucking god you are the most awesome mother ever.

No wonder, with a dad like yours who makes lamp posts and gives you amazing booky birthday presents.

I LOVE the wardrobe the most.

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

The scene: The Boy's sixth birthday.

Me: "This is a pinata, chaps. HIT IT WITH A STICK."

Several thousand small boys: "Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!"

Boys are a lot more easier to entertain than girls, in my opinion.

squib said...

Thanks Melba. I'm only nice to them on their birthdays. The rest of the time, I keep them in the wardrobe

Ramon, pinatas are always a bit of a worry because someone nearly always gets brained by the stick

WitchOne said...

I love you Squib.

My birthday is in early January. Can you please deorate my Christmas, New Years and Birthday parties? We can leave the final lot of decorations up for the 2 boys in Feb but a new theme will be required for the girls in June.

squib said...

righto Witch, any particular political theme?

Anonymous said...

You're amazing, Squib. BigSquib didn't resent being roped into the festivities? She must be pretty amazing too.

Melba said...

I just re-read this because it really is just so awesome.

I LOVE your music list.

Puss In Boots said...

Now I feel sane. Relatively

Glad to be of service.

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

You'd want to be careful to cue up the right Nick Cave track.

Putting the one on where he says "hands up who wants to die" might be a bit awkward.

squib said...

Alex, BigSquib is marvellous. Because her birthday is at the end of July, she always has the same theme as LittleSquib so the decorations just stay up. I think she'd rather have the sushi train as she is a raving Japanophile

Melba, the music ran on a thumbdrive with Emperor of the Penguins on the telly for that iceberg vibe

Ramon, yeah or the Weeping Song, that could be a real downer. Being anal and all, I always check the lyrics. LittleSquib listens to all sorts of music but I don't think everyone would appreciate her eclectic taste

Unknown said...

I think I might have said this before, but Squib, please to be adopting me?

I love this theme. That ice castle cake is freaking awesome.

patchouligirl said...

Very impressive effort. What are the stalagmites on the cake made of? Are they actually edible or paper?

Anonymous said...

Because her birthday is at the end of July, she always has the same theme as LittleSquib so the decorations just stay up. I think she'd rather have the sushi train as she is a raving Japanophile

That's a kind of a shame, I think, Squib. I suddenly got curious to see how you'd handle a Death Note themed birthday party.

Kettle said...

Wait wait wait: you have a galleon in your backyard?

That's it. When I'm reincarnated I want to come back as you, Squib.

patchouligirl said...

Yes, can we have a better picture of the galleon? I'm after some weekend projects for Mr Patch.

RandomGit said...

That was the best handmade party I've ever seen ever! I feel so woefully inadequate.

Yes, more pics of the galleon! Having just bought a new house, the back yard needs a fresh construction project. A galleon would p0wn!

squib said...

EMS, OK but remember we had a deal where you are both my adopted child and butler. Also, the galleon needs a good coat of varnish

Patch, the icicles are edible, cut from ready-to-roll icing, left to harden

Alex, we had a Japanese party for BS once. That's when I decided I was not going to have two themes running in the same month. LS had a miniature party that year. It was very cute, Everything was extra tiny

Kettle, when I'm reincarnated, I want to come back as an otter

Random and Patch, we got the original galleon plans from here - there was a range of ships but now they only do pirate ships. The original plans called for plywood which my dad changed to cedar. Basically, he made it to plan but 100 times more solid

Full shot of the galleon
This is the back of the galleon
the front

Puss In Boots said...

Dude, that is freaking awesome. Man I wish I had a mother like you when I was growing up. The most my mother did was make a cake on our birthdays, and even that stopped after the 10th birthday.

WitchOne said...

You mean there would some kind of choice for a political theme? I thought there was only one TSFKA party?

patchouligirl said...

Thanks Squib! I'll show Mr Patch . . I've been trying to inspire him to build some kind of cubby house. A nautical theme would be appropriate for where we live.

squib said...

Puss, my mum was very unbirthday, uneaster, unchristmas. Maybe that's why I go so overboard

Witch, well if it was my party, I'd have a Simon Crean party or a retro Keating theme

I think Mr Patch will hate me now

Puss In Boots said...

Yeah, I think I'm the same to a certain extent. My mother never cooked, baked, etc and I don't remember having a birthday party past grade 4. So now I always cook elaborate gourmet meals, and bake cakes for birthdays and what not, and throw crazy parties that take me days to prepare for. At Christmas time, I worked out that I had cooked for 28-odd hours. Craziness.

Unknown said...

EMS, OK but remember we had a deal where you are both my adopted child and butler. Also, the galleon needs a good coat of varnish

Oh sure. No worries. I'm a dab hand with a paintbrush.

Can I play in the galleon afterwards?

Do I get a uniform?