Monday, April 4, 2011

Cop that, young Harry!

I wish I could grow hair like that.

Can’t remember if I’ve posted this before, but it bears repeating and I’m bored – so here goes.

Two members of the Commonwealth Parliament in the early years of last century, Isaac Isaacs and George Reid hated each other with a passion, being from opposite sides of the political spectrum

One day, Reid noted Isaacs glaring at him from the opposite side of the Chamber.

Reid boomed out “It looks as though the honorable member for Indi [meaning Isaacs] would like to eat me.”

Isaacs shot back “The honorable member for East Sydney [Reid] has forgotten my religion.”

Certainly beats “moving forward”.

4 comments:

squib said...

But is he calling Reid a pig or a rabbit or a shrimp?

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

A pig, I'm guessing Squib.

Anonymous said...

Certainly beats “moving forward”.

Or, "Your child will be a demon if you think evil thoughts", or that odd-ball song-and-dance from Mary Jo a little while back. Is there much genuine wit left in politics, Ramon? I sometimes feel so underwhelmed.

Also, this is stretching the topic* and I don't know how many of you have seen it, but I noticed this doing the rounds and thought grammar buffs like Puss and Bob (and maybe Melba and EMS) might get a chuckle out of it.

Basically, it's some blog post criticising some ebook for being riddled with lousy grammar - followed by the author of the book trying to defend herself with ranty and abusive comments that are, ironically, riddled with lousy grammar. Example: "if their were any spelling mistakes they were corrected. Simply remove this review as it is in error with you not downloading the fresh copy i insisted."

It gave me a giggle, anyway.

*At least it's not about Squib's email.

Unknown said...

I noticed this doing the rounds and thought grammar buffs like Puss and Bob (and maybe Melba and EMS) might get a chuckle out of it.

My favourite bit is where she says "Fuck off" (the first time). Oh so eloquent and classy.